Monday, January 8, 2018

Men of the Skull Chapter 2: Fall 1986 Schedule

Chapter 2 is short (and, I think, dull.)  I included it for completeness, as later chapters refer to my schedule.  The big deal on this is how registration was handled back in the dark ages.

If I publish the book, this chapter goes bye bye


***************************************

Chapter 2.2: Fall 1986 Schedule

Wednesday, August 27, 1986  Report ties contras to drug deals

            I was warned. 
            Mark and Rich both laughed when I told them that I hadn’t registered for any classes yet- after all, I transferred after the class registration period for this term was already over.  There were two ways I could register for the term: stand in line at Shields building or use the phone registration service.  It would be several years until computerized registration would hit PSU.  Mark told me that the phone lines would be jammed and I probably wouldn’t get through.  However, if I wanted to stand in line, I should wake up really early, or I’d be there all day.
            So of course I slept in.  And when I arrived at Shields building- on the other end of campus near Beaver Stadium, the lines were huge.

Shields Building (Photo: PSU website)
            Most people were only dropping and adding one or two classes, while I had to add a whole schedule.  It took hours of standing in a gazillion lines, but I came up with this:
  • EDPSY 014: Learning for Instruction.  Basic education stuff.  MWF at 8-9 AM.  Recitation F at 5PM.  UGH.
  • ENGL 133: Modern American Lit to WWII.  This sounded like it could be cool.  MWF 9:10-10:10AM
  • HIST 107: Medieval Europe.  Taught by a visiting professor from Oxford.  T&TH 8-9 AM
  • STAT 200: Elementary Statistics.  Required.  After the Drexel math courses, this should be easy.  T&Th 6-8PM.  
  • THEA 109 Drama in Mass media.  A course about TV.  MW 5-7:30 PM

            Early mornings.  I hated early classes.  I’ve never been a morning person.  I’m still not.  Well, I didn’t have much of a choice.  Nothing else was open.

            Now, with my schedule set, I was ready to begin life at Penn State.  After I bought books...



3 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie,

    Thanks for posting all of these chapters. I'm really interested in your personal story. At the same time, your memories are like a little time capsule for me. I started at Penn State in the Fall of '86 so every building you mention, every class you describe...it's like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating, though my PSU years were about a decade earlier and I wasn't in the frat scene.

    I don't think we even had phone registration in my day. We had pre-registration and if we got everything we wanted we could just accept that. But sometimes classes we wanted were filled (by those with higher priority based on term), or a class was cancelled, or had its time changed (conflicting with something else we scheduled), then off to registration we'd go. I remember feeling quite expert at the process after a time or two.

    ReplyDelete